Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Coin Purse Nest Tutorial

I love these old coin purses and they
are great for my little hand made nests.
This time when I made one, I took pics
so you can see how I did it.
 First of all, fill in the little guy with stuffing, paper, plastic or fabric,
so it keeps it's poof in the back. Do it about 1/3 or 1/2 full.
Hot glue in if needed.
(this is first time I have used polyester batting and I did not like it.
Too hard to glue in and too slick to work with.)

 Then take some tea dyed cheesecloth and fluff it in there.
Let some hang over edges.
 (when you put your nest in some will get shoved in further.)
 Then lay your little nest in there. hot glue it in too.
 Take some cottonwood fluff...
 or some cotton batting.....
 pulled apart like this...
and line nest. (no pic till later)
 Take some little eggs.
I made mine out of dough. Mini Egg Tutorial HERE.

 To paint the eggs I just dip a stencil brush into brown paint
(or whatever color), dab some off on towel, and dab some on egg.
 I use tweezers to hold egg..
 and it looks like this when done.
 Still holding eggs with tweezers, put hot glue on it,
and place in nest.
 Then add adornment. See the little feathers in the front bottom?
And you add some little cuteness at the side of it to.
I put in more little cottonwood, but you could use moss, lichen or ???.
 I also wanted to add a bow, but could not decide where.
Ended up selling before I could decide. =)
I did add a little "blessed" sign to it, not in pic.

Hope you enjoyed tutorial.
Email me with questions.
always glad to help...
and, if you do one up, be sure to let me know.
I'd love to show off what you have done. =)

blessings
barbara jean
I'm joining any of these parties that will let me. =)


Tutorial Tuesday





White Wednesday
French Country Cottage

Vintage Inspiration Friday

Chic on a Shoestring

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

Finished for Friday


Shabby Nest






Funky Junk Saturdays






Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

23 comments:

Createology said...

Your little coin purses with the precious little egg filled nests are heartwarming. Thank you for sharing your techniques. Blissful Inspirations...

Teri said...

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness.... I love these!!! I wish I had my Grandma's old coin purse, I can still remember her with it! I just bought a tea cup and saucer to make a little nest in... did I see it here? I'm not sure... hmmm... But I can't wait! You've inspired me so to make one!!!
Hugs,
Teri

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

This is so sweet Barb. The little purse is the perfect place for a birdie to build its nest. Great tutorial!

Leaon Mary said...

Girl I LOVE this nest tutorial and your little coin purse turned out so beautiful!!! I have my Grammy's olde leather coin purse and I'm tempted to try something like this... and maybe will just set it all in it and not use the glue if I can help it. Thankyou for sharing with all of us! Holykisses xoxo Lea

Lynn Stevens said...

I Loved your little tutorial on making the purse nests! I have several I am planning on using for jewelry but one is much to beat up so this will be a perfect use for that coin purse. Thank you for sharing!
Hugs Lynn

Okio B Designs said...

Love, love, love! I would have snatched it up too!

Jeanine

Latane Barton said...

That is such a darling little nest with eggs and just makes you think of spring and little birds and how great this world of ours can be.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

ohmygoodness!!! This is the cutest thing! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!

Adorable!

Lou Cinda xoxo

Unknown said...

That is just adorable! You better make more...they will go fast!

Angela Richardson said...

Hi Barbara,
What a delight your nest is, i want one for myself.
Thanks for sharing your tutorial.
Smiles, Angela.

Honey at 2805 said...

This is just the sweetest! What a lovely idea! Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday. I do hope you will make it a weekly party visit!

Katalina Jewelry said...

Such a sweet little project and a beautiful blog! Visiting from French Country Cottage: feather nest friday.

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

this is so creative! how do you come up with this stuff? I'm going to save this in favorites and try to create one of my own. thanks for sharing.

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

Now that is just too cute! You make the cutest nests. I've got to try this sometime!

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

What a cute way to display an old coin purse. Great tutorial too!

Deborah

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Love this!! Ihanks for the tutorial!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Unknown said...

I just love the coin purse nest, although nests are one of my favorite things in life, this is fantastic.
I love the old and tattered look together with the nest.
Thanks so much for the inspiration.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Michele

Lady Pamela said...

Beautiful project, I will have to find a coin purse first. I enjoyed looking at it anyway. I always love your creations.

Shopgirl said...

So cute...what a sweet idea...these are the things that make us smile inside and out...Your, Mary

Miss Gracie's House said...

What a sweet little nest for spring! One more thing to add to my to-do list:)
Have a great weekend!
Rene'

shannon i olson said...

so cute Barb! I never do anything with nests, but love when others do, I have a couple old purses I should utilize more!

Maria said...

Oh how sweet! I love little nests and just made one inside a lantern. Love your idea, so sweet!

Unknown said...

I love your blog! It is so inspirational and so clear with the directions. Thank you for the time you put in to share these lovelies with us!
Peggy