Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Sewing Machine....Unique Find


 Got a 'new' sewing machine on our trip.
(I have a weakness for them)

It is a Gold Hibbard.
Have you ever heard of that brand?
I can hardly find anything on internet about it,
except that there not a lot made, like Singer
and other mass produced machines.


It is in it's original cabinet, and treadle still works.
Belt needs to be replaced and it is ready to go.
(If you click on the pic you may be able to see the 
ornate drawer front in center. I forgot to photo it)


Here are the drawers. Three on each side.
Most pulls missing, but they are beautiful..

And look at these little bobbins..
Aren't they sweet?
I've never seen any like these.

and here is their little holder place in the drawer. 

If you have any info on this machine I would love to know.

thanks and blessings
barb

some fun going on at these parties today:
Thanks for hosting gals.

Knick of Time Tuesday

10 comments:

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Love it! I have always wanted an old sewing machine :)

Tete said...

They began production in 1885. I have seen those bobbins before. Nice machine with the case and all. Double check your pricing before you let this one go.

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

What a beautiful machine!! I had two treadle sewing machine cabinets but recently sold one in our auction. I love them as they remind me of when I was a child playing with my grandma's treadle machine (I never saw her sew on it though!)
I've never heard of this particular brand of machine. And, just because of that, I think you have a real treasure!

PattieJ said...

Oooooh... Barbara, I LOVE your sewing machine!! I just found a treadle sewing machine this summer too!! A Singer. I got a new belt on ebay along with more vintage bobbins and needles. I haven't sat still long enough to clean it up yet (I need to get sewing machine oil for that too)But I am so happy to have such a cool vintage machine. I just googled treadle sewing machines and found so many blogs about them, I never knew people loved them so much...

Pattie

jon said...

Beautiful sewing machine. The "Gold Hibbard" was sold by Hibbard, Spencer, and Bartlett, a well known chain of Department / Hardware stores. The machine itself was made by Davis sewing machine Co. out of Dayton, Ohio. The machine dates from 1900-1910 and is called a "Model E". This model was also sold by Sears during the same time period as the "Minnesota A". Your Hibbard decals are much prettier IMHO.

Enjoy
Jon

jon said...

Beautiful sewing machine. The "Gold Hibbard" was sold by Hibbard, Spencer, and Bartlett, a well known chain of Department / Hardware stores. The machine itself was made by Davis sewing machine Co. out of Dayton, Ohio. The machine dates from 1900-1910 and is called a "Model E". This model was also sold by Sears during the same time period as the "Minnesota A". Your Hibbard decals are much prettier IMHO.

Enjoy
Jon

Unknown said...

Hi I was looking up the same sewing machine on line. I have one that was my Grandmother's and I don't know what price to sell it for. Could you offer a price range recommendation.
Deb

Unknown said...

Hi
I have a Gold Hibbard machine that was my Grandmothers. It has 3 drawers on each side. The Treadle no longer moves. I am wanting to sell it but do not know what price to offer it at. Could you give me a price range I might want to list it at?

Deb

Barbara Jean said...

Debbie Borgman
I have someone who knows about the machines and wants to help.
Please email me your contact info.
(email) and I will put you two in touch.

thanks
Barb

Paloma said...

Barbara I'd send you a email! thanks for the support!!