Wednesday, July 9, 2014

"Foot Ball" Engraving



  Found this wonderful engraving at a local store.
Not even sure why it caught my eye...
maybe have been the wonderfully aged and stained paper.

It has beautiful detail.....
I think you could spend the day enjoying each little bit of it,
and the emotion that went into it.
Engraved by Henry Lemon

Below is information I found on the internet about it.
I found 2 for sale. The one below, and one other at $2500.

Of course they were in much better condition than mine,
but I think it is that very worn condition that drew me to it.
(please click on pics above to see fine detail).


Foot Ball
An impressive engraving showing an early form of soccer, the village sport of "foot ball." In this game, a large group of children would try to kick a round ball through goals, usually in the fields near a village. It was a rough sport-as shown in this print-but remained popular. It wasn't until the mid-nineteenth century that the more formal sports of rugby and soccer took on their rules; this print shows the earlier, village form of the game.


Not sure mine is of any value at all, given the condition, (and no clue how to even display it,) but hopefully someone will want it for the history attached to it.

Blessings on your day, and thanks for the visit.
Barb
 Come Link Up at...

4 comments:

Karen B. said...

That is so neat Barbara Jean!
Can you imagine it is worth a lot of money?! I bought a set of old books at a church sale and they could sell for much more than I spent but for now they live at my fireplace in the family room.
I hope you are well.
Many hugs,
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

Unknown said...

Please Don't assume it to be of little value! You may be surprised, if you have a friendly auction house in your area that you can talk to as though you don't know about these things. They just may help you out and tell you about about this engraving, hoping you'll do business with them. Good luck!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

It is always fun to find something that is possibly worth money! What makes it really valuable though is that you like it :)

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I can see why you'd be attracted to it, so much charm and detail. I know the right person will come along and fall in love.