Sunday, April 11, 2010

Stress Management Help

me/2010
I'm sharing this from my sweet friend at Tootsie Time. (thanks girl!!)
(Be sure to go visit. She has a really sweet blog with a lot of gardening tips and ideas and beautiful pictures.)

This is a brief, but I thought very helpful article on stress.





Stress…

When this came to my attention, it really hit home. I am sharing today as I know it will touch some of you as well.

Stress
A lecturer, when explaining stress management to an audience,
Raised a glass of water and asked;
'How heavy is this glass of water?'
Answers called out ranged from 20g to 500g.
The lecturer replied, 'The absolute weight doesn't matter.
It depends on how long you try to hold it.
If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem.
If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm.
If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance.
In each case, it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.'
He continued,
'And that's the way it is with stress management.
If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later,
As the burden becomes increasingly heavy,
We won't be able to carry on. '
'As with the glass of water,
You have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again.
When we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden.'
'So, before you return home tonight, put the burden of work down. Don't carry it home. You can pick it up tomorrow.
Whatever burdens you're carrying now,
Let them down for a moment if you can.'
So, my friend, Put down anything that may be a burden to you right now. Don't pick it up again until after you've rested a while.
Here are some great ways of dealing with the burdens of life:

* Accept that some days you're the pigeon,
And some days you're the statue.
* Always keep your words soft and sweet,
Just in case you have to eat them.
* Always wear stuff that will make you look good
If you die in the middle of it.
* Drive carefully. It's not only cars that can be
"recalled" by their maker.
* If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
* If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again,
It was probably worth it.
* It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to be kind to others.
* Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time,
Because then you won't have a leg to stand on.
* Nobody cares if you can't dance well.
Just get up and dance.
* When everything's coming your way,
You're in the wrong lane.
* Birthdays are good for you.
The more you have, the longer you live.

* You may be only one person in the world,
But you may also be the world to one person.
* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.
* We could learn a lot from crayons...Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.
*A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.
Have an awesome day and know that someone has thought about you today..


hope this is helpful. love and blessings


barbara jean


10 comments:

Annesphamily said...

Aw...I loved this analogy! Thanks for sharing!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Thank You!! Really Thank You!! I needed this message today! I am going to print this and try to take it to heart!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Barbara Jean, Oh, thank you for posting this. It is very profound! I have a couple of people I want to lovingly send this to. Now I'm going to re-read this again for myself. Bless your heart!
Yvonne

Claudia said...

Barbara Jean, thank you. This is lovely. What a perfect reminder for all of us who tend to hang on to things and let them eat away at us.

xo
Claudia

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

I loved reading this. Very timely.
Blessings,
Nancy

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Barbar Jean,
What a lovely message you have posted today. I suspect that many of us are having trouble with stress management.
The glass of water pretty much puts it all in perspective.

Thank you.

hugs
Sissie

Gypsy Fish said...

Thanks Barbara Jean: I really needed that....now I am refreshed!
Beth

Jonny said...

Well written and true, Thank you for sharing it. Jonny

Cottage Rose said...

Hi Barbara Jean; What a great article on stress.... and he is so right about it all..... thank you for sharing it. have a stress free week.

Hugs;
Alaura

Cynthia K. said...

Hi Dear Lady ~ Yes, this is such a wonderful bit of information about managing stress! It's always good to get new ideas and a different perspective on things. I love all the clever sayings at the end of the article. So glad you thought of us when you first read this and now I must go check out her blog.

Oh, and a couple of posts back, you were learning about click the picture twice to get a larger size. Well, that was something I didn't know about it. Had no idea you could click it twice. We're getting so smart now. LOL.

Cynthia K. (Beauty and Blessings)