Wednesday, November 18, 2009



Thrifty Thursday

hosted by Leigh

vintage thingies thursday

hosted by Suzanne




This is an old radio cabinet we got on vacation.
The old vintage blouse i have shown you before,
and probably the vintage photograph of the woman.
Isn't she beautiful?
I love this display in the store.


This is the office corner at the shop.

Vintage items:

cabinet, adding machine, clocks
pictures, old pen nibs, staplers, ink jar,
books, ledgers, pencil sharpeners,
mirror, bottles, and old stamps.

Not sure how I got into this.
Just thought an old office area would be cool,.
and old office things just suddenly 'appeared' at sales. =0)


T
My Thrifty Thursday

or
(how to get rusty keys rusty keys without the wait).


Here is a piece of my art.
(I have probably shown you this one before,
but this time i want you to notice the key.)
Is it old and rusty?

or.....

sold!
thank you, working on more

New and made to look old and rusty?

(Old rusty keys are hard to find at sales,
and usually cost more when you do find them).
Figure that one out!

Here is how make them look old:

I use a mix of acrylic paint-
black, burnt sienna, and burnt umber.
Take a scruffy brush
( this is a stencil brush but any old stiff brush will do).
Dip into one or two of the colors and scruff it into the grooves of the key.
Keep doing this with the colors till it is the look you want.
I do not usually do the whole thing but bits of it.

Now, instant, or just about instant,
rusty whatever when you want it. =0))

Thanks for coming by

blessings on your day.

barbara jean

20 comments:

Junk Exchange said...

love your blog, barbara jean -

thanks for the tip on aging keys -

troy

CC said...

I loved your vintage things..specially that sweet dress in the right corner of your picture, and that photograph is just wonderful.

Nicole @ the style hatch said...

I love the key idea! Thanks for sharing, I think I am going to have to try it!! Very creative Barbara Jean!

Nicole

Mammabellarte Rita Reade said...

Buonasera Barbara, shhhh....sandpaper the keys a little bit and leave them outside and just spray the with a little bit of water. They will rust in not time. Take care Rita mammabellarte

Heather said...

I like your key idea. Thanks for following my blog. So far, I have done nothing to the bathroom cabinet! I've been so busy and it is going to required some sanding and mold removal - ick! I have decided to keep it white though and paint the hardware dark brown to tie in with the shower curtain. Thanks for your input!

I just put up a new post with the latest fireplace update.

~Heather
p.s. We are in Eugene now.

Heather said...

You'll probably laugh when you read this Barb. I'm the Heather who used to clean your house, so you already know me. I found your blog from Kathy Colby's. She is a family friend. I am hoping to come to your store sometime soon. Maybe even next week if you are open - I am off work the whole week. =)

marian said...

i love the display in the first pic..love the old photos & the lacey victorian clothing :))

concretenprimroses said...

Lovely corner of the shop. I love the little cabinet! It matches some shelves I have in my study.
Kathy

★Carol★ said...

I love that whole little display are there! And your tip for making rusty keys! I tried a recipe of salt and vinegar once to rust some hinges, and it didn't work very well. This sounds so much faster and easier!
Happy VTT!
Carol

Old Time Cindy said...

Vintage keys are expensive. Best to be thrifty and DIY. Thanks for sharing!
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

Coloradolady said...

great tip on aging keys...and you are right, they are pricey to be so small....great post and info today...

Have a great VTT and a wonderful holiday week ahead!

Nancy Jo said...

Hi Barbara Jean,
What a nice site and your store is just tooo cute.
As to your question. If you are looking for papaer kind of stuff on E'BAY, type in 'Ephemera lots. Or paper lots.
Nancy Jo

Unknown said...

Love your blog too! And thanks for the tip, you are right, the really aged ones cost too much most places! :)

Jocelyn said...

Very sweet display. Love the keys.

Happy VTT
Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

My Grama's Soul said...

What great pics of an old office setting. I think I used to use that calculator in the pic in one of my old jobs.
That really dates me -- doesn't it? Oh well, cest' la vie.

Happy VTT,

Jo

Debbie said...

Your office display is so pretty, I really like the rounded top piece. Thanks for the tip on aging keys, the aged key looks nice in your lovely artpiece.

Maureen said...

I love that round top cabinet. Your framed art is nice. I just got some old keys and sheet music. Now I need to get busy.

Jane said...

I love that corner of your shop!! I'm crazy about vintage office stuff (ok I'm just crazy about anything vintage). Your display is very inviting.
Jane

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

OH! How I adore your vintage finds! I especially love what you did with the key! So glad you shared that!Great deals! Thanks for linking up this week to Thrifty Thursday! Have a wonderful, blessed Thanksgiving. Thanks for being a Bloggeritaville friend!!!I am thankful for you!
Hugs!
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Ally's Corner said...

Office display is so pretty!
What a great tip for aging keys.