Friday, May 8, 2009

Project Friday - Floor Cracks

This is Project Friday, but since I do not see it going this week, I will post my "project" anyway.

I just read a post about a cement patio floor that was cracked, then fixed, and it led me to think of my own kitchen floor.

We had dry rot in the sub-floor several years ago.
My husband and son diligently fixed it, leaving in the wake the need for a new floor.
Since i had just spent weeks painting our dark brown cupboards white, and lived with the mess
in the kitchen, i was not up to making any major decisions about new floor in the kitchen and adjoining laundry room.
Sooo, I went to the local store and bought some stick on floor tiles as a 'temporary' fix till i was up to dealing with it.
That was 9 years ago!!!!

After a couple of years this temporary floor began to crack, separate, and now is breaking.
scratches and seperation




Needless to say, every time i walk into the kitchen this bothers me.

The other day when it was bugging me, the Lord reminded me of how some people do not even have a home right now. And those people would be rejoicing to have a floor, any floor, cracks or not.
So, although the floor still bugs me, and we can;'t get it fixed right now, I'm trying to keep it in perspective.
My husband has a job, and we have a floor! Thank you and praises.

Blessings on your day.

barbara jean

8 comments:

Nancy said...

So true!

Anonymous said...

Barbara, I've been so remiss in not keeping up with my blogging friends this week. Very busy! I did manage to post a few pictures and I have to say thank you for visiting and commenting.
Your kitchen floor...! I know what you mean! Same problem when we moved into this house. Maybe you can put a pretty throw rug over the ugly spots for awhile. Just don't sweep dirt under it! ;-)
Hugs!
Diane

abnsigoslady said...

Amen! Thanks for sharing. Laura @ the mansion

ClassyChassy said...

Yes, you have a floor! My friend goes to Mexico for 2 weeks each year to help build a school and orphanage - those people live in boxes located on a trash dump site. The things we don't take for granted in the States! I, like you, wish for better things, and sometimes those things just have to wait! All in good time....

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

So very true. I was thinking something similar as I said my prayers last night. I thanked God for ALL my blessings...even the chores of laundry, mopping, sweeping and toilets...

plain*worker*primitives said...

Barbara Jean, you are so right I catch myself doing that sometimes too, sometimes we just don't realize how blessed we really are...

Have a good weekend!
Melissa

Leaon Mary said...

DO YOU HEAR ME SHOUTING AMEN!!!!!!!
TAPDANCE on those cracks my friend!
Hug your hubby and keep crankin that praise!
I'm smiling all over the place!

brokeintrovert said...

My mother just told this very thing to my 30-something sister who just got married. She's a teaher and makes decent money, but she's not teaching what she wants to teach because of budget cuts. She has a house, but it's an awful house...really. She has done everything to fix up the rooms, but the kitchen needs a lot of work....a lot. My mother told the newly married couple. Yes, you have a roof over your head and a job. You really cannot ask for more right now when others don't even have this. My sister's husband is jobless right now, but he does try. Well, I should say underemployed, but he is going janitorial work right now. Not many hours. I feel the same way, except being older...I want my health and my husband's health as well as my daughter's health. We didn't have health insurance for a while. My carpeting and dining room flooring do not match and leave much to be desired right now. My roof is leaking and water was dripping on us the other day. Yes, the priority is the roof right now. I'm ready to move to a trailer some days. The roof will have to get a tune-up until we can save enough for a full roof.