Friday, December 18, 2009

A Blessed Pink Christmas

Pink Saturday

Pink Saturday
Beverly has ask us to share a Christmas story or memory.
This week it is a Christmas tradition.

During the week, while hanging out with my folks,
I asked my Mom to tell me some things about our Christmases growing up.
Some tradition.
At first, she had a hard time remembering any.

Then I remembered this:

When I was young we used to go very year to the woods and cut our own tree.
In those days (oh that makes me sound old) you did not need a permit or have to go to a certain area or anything.
You just went out wherever and cut whatever tree you wanted.
It was usually snowing on the pass and we made a play day of it too.
We would go down the hill on an old washing machine lid.
Even my Dad did it.
That was great fun, until the lid broke. =0)

So when our kids were young, we carried through with the same tradition.
We went out to he woods and cut our tree each year.
Then came the time of permits, and restrictions, and that caused us to go to the corner tree loot, and there is where we get our tree each year now.


A few years ago we had a manger instead of having a tree at all.
I made it life size, put hay in it, and put candles all around the bottom of it.
I just used old 2x4's and wood from the garage.
Always a scrap pile out there from various projects.
Baby Jesus was just a sheet wrapped to look like a baby was in it.
That was a really nice change from the traditional tree and ornaments.
A little bit of Holy reminder right in our living room.

And that is what Christmas is about, the birth of the Holy Child Jesus.

And it's about family. And being together. And smiles. And love.








May your Christmas be as peaceful as a sleeping baby,
and son-in-law.

Blessings

barbara jean


PS
We are suposed to meet a new blogger each week for Pink SAturday.
So this is mine:

Stone Gable


You need to go see the wonderful painting she did on music paper!

14 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

What wonderful memories and traditions, Barbara Jean! Love the manger idea! Happy Pink Saturday and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Christmas blessings,
Sandi

Its So Very Cheri said...

I think you will enjoy the post I will be doing on Sunday night for my party post-you will have to see the manger I am going to post.
I have had so many Google problems-and it isn't over-Google has no idea how to solve the problem.
Sorry I haven't been by much-I decided after weeks and weeks of non-stop Google issues, I am throwing my hands up and making much needed visits.
I hope you have a Very Merry Christmas and hope you can come by for a visit.
Cheri

Junk Exchange said...

beautiful .. love your memories .. we too just went out into the woods and cut our own trees .. ours we always cedar though .. and a time or two we brought home some birds nest ... daddy liked to just leave them in .. i don't think many people do that today ..

thank you for sharing,

troy

Unknown said...

Beautiful post. We always cut our own tree as too When I was a kid. Just went out it and did it I can smell wet wool mittens drying by the heat right now. I think maybe that is why Christmas is so hard for me now .. everything comes from the store.

Pat @ My Tattered Elegance said...

What a beautiful memory. I love the idea of the manger instead of a tree. Your right thats what it is all about. And your family is beautiful. Hope you have a great day.
Hugs, Pat

The Feathered Nest said...

Such a precious post dear Barb!!!! I love this idea so much, the manger displayed in your home! What a wonderful looking family sweet friend, I hope you have a most wonderful Christmas with them ~ hugs and love, Dawn

Char said...

There are always traditions, sometimes I think we just don't realize them as such. Your family looks so loveing and warm. Your pictures are perfect. I hope you have a Happy Pink Saturday and a very Merry Christmas, Char

Cottage Rose said...

Hello Barbara Jean; Happy Pink Saturday.... I really enjoyed reading your post,, such sweet memories you have,,,, have a great weekend..

Merry Christmas;

Hugs;
Alaura

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Barbara Jean- Thank you for stopping at my blog and leaving such a lovely comment. I came to visit you and I was so glad I did! I love your tradition, and think it was just the best idea to build a manger! Beautiful and Christ centered!
Barb, thank you also for giving me a shout out and a link. That was very, very kind of you.
And thanks for following! Right back at you!
My Christ bless you this Christmas!
Yvonne

Betzie said...

Such a sweet post! We cut down our own tree a few times when our sons were little...such fun that was!
Great pics of your lovely family.:)

Anonymous said...

Aw...I think you and your family have Christmas "all wrapped up"!
Hugs!
Diane

Maureen said...

Beautiful post and beautiful family Barb. Have a wonderful Christmas.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Thank you so much for finding my site and joining. I so enjoyed stopping by yours. Your post is wonderful about Christmas memories.
It has gotten here way to soon for me this year and I soon will panic over not being ready.
Not sure how much you saw of my post but I do a Temptation Mondays where blogger artist put their creative things on my site. It might be something you might be interested in doing
Thanks again
Maggie

Elena said...

What beautiful memories you've shared. Thank you for a lovely post. I love your idea of the manger :)

Wishing you a happy & joyful Christmas.

ciao,
Eelna :)