Friday, March 5, 2010

Ava's Nest and the Fixed Toaster



This is the nest my 5 year old Granddaughter made at school.
It's the old 'wrap the gluey yarn around the balloon' art.



Can you see inside?
It's like there is another little nest, in the nest.
And I love the faded blue yarn in it too.
Maybe she'll show me how she did it.
Sooo cute!!

~~~~~~~~~~

This is the only created thing I got done this week.
It was an order from the deli across the street.
The gals had me make this up for their boss,
who has been so kind to them.
So sweet of them.



My Vintage Black for Today:

Vintage black shoe from the box of LOOT from yesterday's post.
(more goodies to come yet!!)

Only one, but don't you just love it??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, here is an oldie but goodie.



This is the toaster we have had for 30 years, at least!!

A short toaster story:

We mentored a young couple 4 years ago,
and when the young man saw this on the counter the first time,
he asked, "What is this???"
We thought he was kidding, but he wasn't!
When we told him it was our toaster, he just could not believe it.
Kept saying, "This is a toaster??"
Boy, did we feel old then. =0)



Long toaster story:

As I said, we have had this toaster for over 30 years.
It has always worked great!
And easy to clean.
Just pop open the tray on the bottom and the crumbs fall out.

Well, now that my sweet fella has retired,
he has become Mr. Clean of the kitchen.
(of course I do not mind at all) =)

One day he had just cleaned the toaster,
you know, dumped the crumbs, cleaned the outside a bit.
(Did not get a before pic, but you can imagine
what at toaster looks like after 30 years, even cleaned with some frequency!)

Well, that was not good enough.
He thought it needed to be even cleaner!
So, he took it apart and cleaned it again,
but his time he broke the element inside.
No toaster!
Broken!

Now, I know this will sound funny, but I became sad.
I mean, that had been our toaster forever!
A part of our family. Special memories.
And now it was gone.

I had to pull it together though, as I had to leave for an appointment.

Four hours later when I got back, guess who I found in the garage,
working on the toaster!
He had spent two hours driving around trying
to find the parts to fix it, with no luck.
And then an hour pricing toasters at the store.
(too cheap!, not the toaster, Mr Frugal.)
So now he was in the garage, mickey mousing it together.
And after another hour out there, it was fixed!!!!



My sweet fella, Mr Wonderful, had fixed our toaster!! =0)
(partly because he is cheap, partly because of the challenge,
but mostly because I am special and he loves me.)



I guess you know, by then I was over my mourning for the toaster.
But it is even more special than ever.
Because now there is a perfectly working toaster,
and a bright and shiny love note on my counter every day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm participating with these wonderful people today:
Please go visit.



Free Signature Generator

27 comments:

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

Love the Toaster store~ My Grandma had that same type of toaster ~ I love seeing things that bring back such Sweet Memories....

Sherrie said...

Your Treasures are nice, but I would have to say that your sweet hubby is your best treasure. Good for you.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Barbara Jean sweetie...
Isn't that just the sweetest face beaming at you with the fixed toaster? I just adore it. Priceless for sure. I have one of those toasters too, and yes they are the best. Our cord has been repaired a few times by DH. Some things we just can't trade in you know?

I love the clock you created for the ladies at the deli, and I am sure their boss did as well. You did an awesome job Barbara. I love it.

Have a beautiful Friday, thanks for sharing with me. You are so loved. Country hugs, Sherry

seanymph said...

The apple doesnt fall far from the tree huh? Grandchild making nests too! But I cant believe a 5yr old made that. I love the idea! I see more nesting going on in your future.

Glad to hear your toaster is fixed. I never saw one like that before which means when it finally breaks, you most likely will have to update. They dont make things like they used to anymore.

Anonymous said...

awwww -- I've got an old toaster too, Barbara Jean, but not like yours. Mine is the regular two-slot, but ultra tiny and very, very shiny chrome. I don't think people repair things like that anymore.

Thank you so much for your lovely comments yesterday. You are a jewel. You said the sweetest things and I am still glowing because of your compliment.

You have a wonderful weekend (and don't work TOO hard!)

One Cheap B*tch said...

Love your toaster story!

Lululiz said...

Your toaster stories put a big smile on my face.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I am going with the "because your special and he loves you" reason for spending all that time fixing the toaster!!!

Have a good weekend!

Lou Cinda

Raspberries and Rose Petals said...

What a sweet guy! And your granddaughters nest turned out beautifully! It's in the blood! :) Thanks for sharing your treasures ~ you got some good ones there!

Stella said...

Her's a toast to you and a loving hubby. May you always have toast done just right. Stella

Prior said...

oh, my, I'm so sorry about the water incident. I hate that you are going to more trouble, but can't wait to receive it. I just mailed something today that was long overdue, so I just figured something had come up with you, too. Lezlee

concretenprimroses said...

Cool toaster, good story, wonderful husband!
Kathy

Unknown said...

You just gotta love a man like that :) Now that's special.
xo,jana
oh, and I absolutely adore the nest.......looks better than alot i've seen real birds make.

chicroses said...

OMG! I had forgot about that toaster..I bought one for my parents when I was in beauty school for anniversary..made payments.Well that was 1965.I was single and still living at home. What we did was make cheese toast..sooo good. When I got married my dh and I got one..we used it for along time. When mom and dad died in 84 it went to goodwill...I love looking at that toaster..memories..I guess it is time for the grave..boohoo. I love the nest your Ava did...tutorial for by her for all of us..hugs sally

Jonny J Petros said...

I surely never seen a toaster like that its neat. That birds nest is beautiful your granddaughter made. Have a wonderful weekend, Jonny

Miss Gracie's House said...

well, I was gonna say that the little show was my fave and then came the toaster story...oh.how.sweet.is.that?LOVE it!
Rene'

Cynthia K. said...

Oh, what a great toaster story! I'm not familiar with that kind of toaster either (and I'm not like 21). But I'm so impressed with your sweet and thoughtful and handy husband! I think he's crazy about you...

Cynthia K. (Beauty and Blessings)

V I N T A G E O L O G I E said...

Hi Barbara Jean~
Happy VBF!! {I love saying that!!} and I love seeing your treasures each month ... and what a great toaster story ... melts {toasts?} my heart! ... thank you for sharing ... enjoy your weekend!
xo
Jill

Victoria said...

Hi Barbara Jean, I did get your post about your birds nests. I may try to make one so I'll let you know if I do. I loved your idea of putting one in my soap dish!
What a good man your hubby is for fixing the toaster:)

chicroses said...

Im sorry I guess I didnt get to finish reading that he fixed the toaster. Great..now I want one. But have you ever put a slice of chedder cheese on the bread and toasted it in that toaster? Thats mainly why my mom and us liked it. Well I dont eat that way anymore..to fattening. Happy Toasting!!sally

Rose ~Victorian Rose ~ said...

Yep...good toaster story...I would never leave the room after it is turned on tho....just my "gut feeling"...but it's great he has it working again.
AM IN LOVE with your black baby shoe...my husband still has his shoes.
I have a single RED shoe as well..dealers like to break them up at times ...they get more money for them that way I beleive.

Rose

Unknown said...

Hey Barbara Jean. I just love your toaster stories. What a good hubby you've got. Wonder what he'll do when he runs out of projects? If it's like my house, that will never happen.

Have a blessed Sunday....Tracy :)

yorkie's primitives said...

I love that nest. It is tooo cute. Tell your granddaughter that she did an awesome job. And when she shows you how to do it, maybe you can share the instructions with us.LOL Hugs, Valerie

Shopgirl said...

Love this story, it is the little things in life that matter. Your Honey is a very thoughtful man...a keeper I am sure!!!!
The shoes is really special...
And you have found some wonderful treasures... Have a wonderful Sunday, Hugs Mary
I am trying to keep up!!!

Romeo said...

The toaster story was priceless!!

Please be sure and tell your granddaughter that her nest is fabulous!!!! And she's only 5?!?! That little jewel has got talent!!!!

Anne Lorys said...

Wow, your granddaughter's nest is incredible!!! I love it!

Great toaster story! :-)

Have a wonderful week!
Anne

Heather said...

love that nest. Glad that the toaster was fixed. It is rather unique as I have not seen one like it.