Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Crafted Nest, Sweet and Rusty Vintage, Fab Finds


A fun craft to do:
I spray painted an oak frame.
(Love how they turn out as the paint kind of separates
into the grainy wood.)
Since the color straight out of the can is too bright,
I then do a wash of white over it to tone it down.
Then I antique it too.

Now, glue on the music paper.
(which has been stained and antiqued.)

Printout a little tag on the computer and age.
Tie with appropriate colored ribbon and glue on.
Glue some sticks on the corner,
and add a home made nest.
(free tutorial on side-bar)
You can use store bought, but they are so perfect.
At least add some moss and other trim around
sides to loosen them up a bit. =)
Tuck in a litle cheesecloth, and a bit of fabric that matches frame.
Don't forget a little egg. All done.
Under $10.00, and fun, fun, fun!!!



Here is a bit of sweet vintage for you.



And a bit of old, rusty vintage too.

Here is my basket of goodies I found today.

Don't you love that someone has put wheels on this big basket
and made it a cart?
It will look so cute on my new Spring display.
(coming soon)

Here are two finds out of the basket.
Can you guess what I will do with those?
C'mon now. You know. =)


More goodies.
Not sure what the thing on the left is supposed to be,
but it is cast iron and has a place for a candle.
The wheels turn.
Any ideas?


Same here. No clue what it is.
That long crank turns.
I thought maybe a pepper grinder,
but nothing inside seems to turn.
No teeth or anything, just a smooth round wheel.

Someone out there must surely know what it is.


That's all my treasures fro today.
Hope you enjoyed your visit.

blessings

barbara jean

Oh, I'm joining in with all these lovely blogs to celebrate Thursday.
Please go over for a visit.

Thank you to all our wonderful hostesses.










22 comments:

iheartsunnydays said...

What a wonderful basket of goodies!

Lululiz said...

Hmmm, that sure is an interesting looking object. No idea either what it is, but would love to find out.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Barbara Jean,
Oh how you make me want to start on some "more" projects!
I just had to go over and look at your birds nest tutorial again. I think I can that.
Thanks for showing us all the lovely things you have gathered.

hugs
Sissie

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

I think it was a coffee grinder! I have an identical one in my kitchen!!
Debbie

Kristi Flanagan said...

Hi Barbara! Love the nest picture frame - I've got to try and make one of those nests! Come on over to my blog tomorrow - I'm hosting my first "Plant a Punkin Seed" linking party - love to see you there!

Kristi
Punkin Seed Productions

ClassyChassy said...

Maybe the crank is for looks, and ya put long match sticks in the container? Would be cool by a fireplace! But, I suppose it would make a good place to stick a bird nest too!

Dragonlady said...

Hey Barb, Love all of your treasures, ones made and ones found...I so love that you share how-to's on your stuff...It's very sweet of you..
I have no idea what the things are you found....will be back to see if anyone leaves a comment saying they know...

Love to you
Brenda

extreme personal measures said...

Love the treasures!
Following you over from Shabby Chic Cottage!
I am a follower!
Please stop by!
http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/

Susan said...

your treasures are wonderful!!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your finds! Especially the rusty box! Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday and sharing this week! I hope you will come back to visit me soon. If you haven't already, be sure to enter the giveaway.

Have a wonderful weekend.
HUGS!
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Kammy said...

I love it ! Love it, Love it !
Kammy

Cottage Rose said...

Hi Barbara..... I so love that bird nest frame.... and it sounds really easy to do... and all the other goodies you have are really nice,,, have fun with them...

Hugs;
Alaura

Lori said...

I love your frame with the nest. Well actually I love all your things. Don't know what it is either. sorry...

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. Please come by next week for another great party.
Lori

Shopgirl said...

Coffee grinder sounds right????
Love all your stuff, and always find coming to your blog a adventure...Hugs, Mary

Vicki Boster said...

I love that picture frame collage! How creative! I can see right now that I need to visit more often - you make me want to go out and buy a can of spray paint for sure! Thanks for sharing--

Vicki

sylvie said...

Grâce à vous chère Barbara, j'ai fait mon premier cadre-nid, je vous remercie pour votre inspiration.
Je vais ajouter un petit peu de mousse dans mon nid, merci pour l'idée, bises de france, miette

Niki Jolene said...

If you find out what on earth it is you will have to let me know. My inlaws inherited a bunch of old things when they moved into their house and have one just like that on their kitchen wall.

We have marveled at what it might be for years now!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Barbara Jean--I love it! You come up with sweetest, most sentimental projects. They make me say, "Awww". Thanks for sharing!

Veronica said...

I have featured your cute picture and frame on my blog. If you like,come by and grab me featured button at Veronica's Korner. http://veronicas-korner.blogspot.com/

Agnes said...

I tried to make the birdsnest in a frame too.
Only....i didnot haven a frame.So i made it in a little tray.
Thanks for the idea, love it again !

Love,
Agnes

Agnes said...

I hope you donot mind but...i put your link to your blog on my blog...oeps...
If you mind, please let me know.
Love,
Agnes

Agnes said...

That last picture is for coffeebeans .
In the Netherlands some older people are still using it.