Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Thrifty Box of LOOT and Fun, Framed Art


Remember this box of loot I showed you a few days ago?
I said I'd wait and you could go through it with me,
so here we go!


This is the tin you can see in the box.
Full of buttons!!


I spread a few out so you could see them.
Not sure what those fan things with the jewels are for,
but I sure do like them!
There are mother of pearl buttons in there,
and even a few square ones, which I had not seen before.
(are they still Mother of Pearl if they are square?)
See any you like?

Here are more goodies.
That old office stamp is heeeeaaaaavy!
Sure would not want to lift that all day.

Old prism, fabric cutter?, and tape measure stick.
(or whatever you call them.)
I have my granddad's too.
You will not see his in the store. =0

Some silver, old framed postcards,
and an old Rook game.

Isn't this old crow on the cards great?

There is more to show you form the box of goodies,
but I'm saving some for another day.
(like Vintage Black Friday!)

~~~~~~~~~~~
This is a little bit from my thriftin' today.

This rusty, patina basket has no bottom.
My sweet fella looked at me like I was nuts
when I asked the clerk for the price.
He said one dollar.
Just what I had in mind.
But the other clerk said she would have only charged .49 for it,
so that is what I got it for.
My husband still thinks I'm nuts to buy a basket with no bottom in it.
Anyone guess what is going in it???!
(coming soon!)


This is the inside of the wedding album from a few pics back.
Love the shapes of the mats.
They will be so cute with an old vintage pic in them,
and all trimmed up.
The book on the right two pics back is an altered art book.
It is OK, but not quite me,
so I will get to tweak it a bit. =0)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here are a couple of easy, and inexpensive treasures for you to make.

The first one I call Buckle Art

supplies: Black frame, fabric or paper, black ribbon, buckles.

Cover cardboard with fabric or paper.
Slide buckles onto black ribbon.
Glue down.
Slide into frame.
Done!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This second piece has the saying:
"The key to knowing God is His Word."
(sold)

First I covered cardboard with music paper.
Since this would be black and white tones,
instead of my usual browns,
I 'aged' my paper with black acrylic paint.
(or you can use ink).

I used glue stick to glue music paper to the cardboard.

I printed my saying out on the computer,
leaving a space for a real key.
(Takes some time to figure out size, but you can do it!)

Mine is glued to a wood cross I made, but you could also use cardboard.
I glued the key to the cross,
and glued the cardboard into the frame.
Another project done!!

These projects are fairly quick, and certainly inexpensive!
Those of you who create, know the time is in the planning,
creating, and figuring out the details.
I hope all of you will enjoy the fruits of our labor.

I'm joining these special hostesses today.
Please go by and check them out.

Blessings,
Barbara Jean


20 comments:

alissa said...

what treasures! i like the office stamp and that wooden ruler. my dad is a carpenter and i remember him using one.
that basket would look cute with one of your birds nest...can't wait to see what you do with it.
have a great day!

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Neat treasures. The "fabric cutter" is a marking tool. You use it to roll over your pattern placed on marking paper on top of pattern to mark darts, etc. That was about the
only thing I learned in Home-Ec,LOL.
Smiles,
Pat

Sue at Dollytub Cottage said...

You have some wonderful ideas!SueXX

ClassyChassy said...

Love looking in the button box! Mom had one like that when I was a child and it always held my interest!

j said...

Thank you for saving the box to go through with us! I love to plunder.

The buttons were... *sigh* wonderful.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Barbara Jean,
Such great treasures!! Love them all!
Debbie

Apron Senorita said...

Barbara Jean,
You caputured my sewing heart with the first picture of the buttons. I love buttons, especially vintage ones. I'm glad we go to meet through Get Your Craft On Thurs. You have a beautiful blog.

Yoli :)

The Feathered Nest said...

So many yummy treasures Barb!!!! I love it when you show your finds...and you are always so generous to share your art techniques!!! Thank you for being such a giving soul dear friend, hugs and love, Dawn

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Would I love to have a box of goodies like that! Very cool! Love the buttons! The silver, the Rook game, well...all of it!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Wow, that is a treasure trove of goodies. What a great find. I have also been hunting for great old buttons and those are so hard to find. Love it all. Hugs, Marty

Lululiz said...

What a box, what an absolutely brilliant box of goodies! I drooled over all the bits. Loved the button tin of course. The fan shaped thing you asked about is one half of a fabric belt buckle. I have similar belt buckles and they are just gorgeous. Not sure about the age, I'd have said turn of the century, its not quite geometric enough for Art Deco I think. But I am no expert, so don't take my word for it.

Queenie's Vintage Finds said...

That's such a fun post...Loved seeing your box of loot! :)
I loved the wonderful idea for a pedestal candle holder in your other post too...that birdhouse and doily is so cute on it.

I really love your blog Barbara Jean, thank you so much for visiting me at mine, because it led me to finding you!
Big Hugs,
Queenie

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Wiping the drool off the keyboard--those buttons, oh those lovely buttons. I also love the framed pieces, especially the cross. Thanks for linking up!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I got tickled at your comment. Yours are always so special to me. Thanks. I wish you were here for a cup of tea. That would be fun. Still love all those buttons. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

Barb, baskets with no bottom? No problem, girlfriend! LOL! Easy to MAKE A bottom if you actually need one! But maybe you don't! Can't wait to see what you do with it! Everything your found is a treasure waiting to happen!

Diane

Unknown said...

Hi Barbara Jean. I just wanted to stop by and tell you how much your precious tag and birdnest mean to me. I just love them and just got to post them on my blog. You can check it out here:
http://cottonpickincute.blogspot.com/2010/03/lucky-lucky-me.html

Much love with a very thankful heart...Tracy :)

P.S. I love all the goodies you've posted. And I can see your busy, busy creating!

Prior said...

Love your crosses and could use all those buttons making my button bouquets. Lezlee

Wildflowerhouse said...

Barb could you hear me squealing from here. So many great treasures so little time. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Hi Barbara Jean.....it all looks so wonderfully fun....I'm pretty sure you go at the speed I'm at......off or on.....I love all you get done. You make it look effortless!
so,
jama

Lori said...

What neat finds. I love the frames. Great job.

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. Please join me next week for another great party.
Lori